Excisional Debridement Specialist Certification (EDS-C)
This course is a national premier training program formulated to meet the basic educational needs of medical providers working in different clinical settings. This course provides a comprehensive review about the Excisional / Non-Selective Sharp Debridement and its application in Wound Management. In addition; the skills competency session provides each attendee with the hands-on experience needed to function as an Excisional Debridement Certified professional. Course participation will increase the knowledge, skills, ability and confidence of the attendees leading to effective wound management and optimal patient outcomes.
- Define Non-Selective Sharp Wound Debridement per CMS rules.
- Identify Indications for Excisional / Non-Selective sharp wound debridement.
- Describe the different types of wound debridement.
- Define anatomy and physiology of the integumentary system and the functional relationship of structure such as tendons, nerves and blood vessels.
- Explain and discuss the difference between Selective Sharp Wound Debridement versus Non-Selective Sharp Wound debridement
- Understand legal requirements associated with Sharp Wound Debridement procedure.
- Procedure Review: Non-Selective Sharp Wound Debridement.
- Discuss documentation requirements pre & post Non-Selective Sharp Wound Debridement procedure.
- Understand & follow patient safety precautions related to Excisional / Non-Selective Sharp Wound Debridement procedure.
- Understand risk for bleeding associated with Excisional / Non-Selective Sharp Wound Debridement and understand how to achieve hemostasis.
- Demonstrate effective Excisional/ Non-Selective Sharp wound debridement techniques utilizing animal tissue (Class Room Format Only).
- Documentation of Procedure Note regarding Non-Selective Sharp Wound Debridement and associated CPT Codes billing submission.
- Familiarization of all the required instruments and supplies needed for the Excisional / Non-Selective Sharp Wound debridement.
- Manage pain associated with Excisional Wound debridement and discuss other pain management strategies.
Scope of Practice
- Medical provider: A doctor of medicine or osteopathy (MD/DO) who is authorized to practice medicine or surgery by the State in which the doctor practices. Advanced Practice Registered Nurse (APRN), Podiatrist (DPM) and Physician assistants (PA) who are authorized to practice under the State law and who are performing within the scope of their practice as defined under State law.
- Non selective sharp wound debridement, skill that requires substantial specialized judgment and proficiency, focused on compassionate, clinically appropriate care effective for the treatment of health problem and the promotion of health.
- All medical providers shall perform the skill with a focus on patient safety, and function within the parameters of the legal scope of practice and in accordance with the federal, state, and local laws; rules and regulations; and policies, procedures and guidelines of the employing health care institution or practice setting.
This is an (8) Eight-hour program and may be taken online or in person. Online attendees may complete hands on skills competency with a qualified preceptor.
OPTION #1: One Day Onsite/Classroom Workshop
Involves lectures, interactive demonstrations and hands-on skills training.
OPTION #2: One Day Virtual Workshop / Live Session / Web Based
Involves lectures, interactive learning and visual skills demonstration by the instructor.
Classroom Workshop Schedule
- January 14, 2023
- February 11, 2023
- March 11, 2023
- April 15, 2023
- May 13, 2023
- June 10, 2023
- July 15, 2023
- August 19, 2023
- September 09, 2023
- October 07, 2023
- November 11, 2023
- December 02, 2023
Virtual / Web Based Workshop Schedule
- January 21, 2023
- February 18, 2023
- March 18, 2023
- April 22, 2023
- May 20, 2023
- June 17, 2023
- July 22, 2023
- August 26, 2023
- September 16, 2023
- October 14, 2023
- November 18, 2023
- December 09, 2023
- Ali A. Pitafi MD
- Alex Khan APRN ACNS-BC MSN EDS-C WCP-C
- Martha Snyder APRN FNP-C MSN EDS-C WCP-C
- Angie Machado LVN WCC DFC WCN-C
- Shawn Amersi RN BSN WCN-C CSWD-C
- Kari Harman RN-C, CCM, CWCA, WCN-C, CSWD-C, AACCWS, DAPWCA
$ 500.00 – Includes Training, Study guide, and final evaluation and Certification Registry with OWCNAHP
TIME: 9:00 AM – 5:30 PM
BREAK: 12:00 PM – 12:30 PM
- 8.0 Hours – Continuing Education Unit (CEU) Credits
- A.M. Working LLC is accredited as a provider of continuing nursing education by the Kansas State Board of Nursing. LT0332-1222.
Who May Attend
- APRN – Advanced Practice Nurse
- MD/DO/DPM – Physician
- PA – Physician Assistant